With the new year comes new batches of photos on Sonoma Heritage Collections and many new enki Library e-books.
Sonoma Heritage Collections
Lenny Mane’s 1956 Chevrolet in Petaluma, California,1950s (Photo 42177)
Roughly 1750 new photos of subjects ranging from Sonoma County beach erosion caused by a fierce storm in the early 1960s to George P. McNear, Jr. (of the prominent early Petaluma family) sculling on the Petaluma River about 1910. The biggest group of photos is another beach set, this one concerning the construction of a jetty at the mouth of the Russian River below Jenner in 1931 — and its destruction in a another big storm in 1934.
Later this spring, we plan to add another 3000 photos that currently can only be viewed in low resolution in the Library’s catalog.
We are also looking at a new mobile-friendly version that will make exploring our photos and other items much easier if you’re not using a desktop computer.
enki Library e-books
I’ve just added several new collections of enki Library e-books to the Library’s catalog. These include 54 graphic novels from Rosarium Press — featuring primarily African American authors and artists; 880 Dark Horse graphic novels — from the Chronicles of Conan to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Seasons 8-10; a new set of McGraw Hill Education titles; an exciting group of long-form singles from Plympton (for sale on Amazon as Kindle Singles); and the current year IRS guides for popular forms.
The next enki installment in Find will be for 10,000 indie pubs purchased from Smashwords. These are works from popular Amazon authors. I am currently preparing the catalog records, but the ebooks are already available for Sonoma County Library cardholders at https://scl.enkilibrary.org.
Sonoma County Library Announces an Employment Opportunity
LIBRARIAN I/II – FULL TIME – 40 HOURS PER WEEK
MATERIALS MANAGEMENT DIVISION – CATALOGING – CENTRAL LIBRARY
The Sonoma County Library is seeking a customer service driven library professional with excellent communication skills and attention to detail for its full-time Librarian position in Cataloging. This position is located at the Central Library in downtown Santa Rosa in the heart of the California Wine Country with the Redwoods and Pacific Ocean only minutes away.
This benefited, full-time position in the area of Cataloging performs original and derived cataloging for materials in all formats; creates metadata for digitized special collections material; creates and updates authority records; compiles and reviews records for monthly authority control processing; and serves as back-up for all copy cataloging tasks and other related duties in the Cataloging Department as needed. The position reports to the Cataloging and Metadata Librarian in Materials Management, located at the Central Library.
include, but are not limited to:
- Preforming original and derived cataloging for special collections materials in all formats, local government documents, local author books; local musician/musical group sound recordings; foreign language materials
- Researching names, birth dates, street names, etc. in the Library catalog and other databases to create and update authority records and digital projects metadata
- Entering metadata for photos, archival collections and other special collections materials into Excel spreadsheets
- Loading new records in CONTENTdm or other platforms
- Correcting existing bibliographic records in the Library’s catalog, and metadata in CONTENTdm and archives databases
- Compiling information on new Horizon records from a number of monthly reports; investigating problems such as missing or malformed call numbers; and searching
- WorldCat via OCLC Connexion for replacement records
- Preparing and exporting monthly batches of new bibliographic records to Marcive, Inc. for authority processing; retrieving, importing and troubleshooting processed files
- Managing retrieval of vendor-provided shelf-ready MARC files via FTP, importing files into Horizon and trouble-shooting problems
8 hours per day, Monday through Friday; flexibility on the precise schedule but must be within 8:00 am & 6 pm
- Education and Experience: MLIS/MLS required
- Knowledge and abilities: Basic cataloging principles; strong attention to detail; basic knowledge of computers; basic knowledge of MS Office Excel or similar applications.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Cataloging experience (strongly preferred); 2 yrs. experience necessary to qualify for Librarian II
- Experience working OCLC Connexion and Horizon
- Close attention to detail
- Knowledge of metadata standards, digital asset management systems
- Multilingual (Spanish especially helpful)
- Basic programming/scripting knowledge helpful
Incumbent will perform repetitive arm/hand movements using a keyboard and mouse, and will grasp/handle materials that weigh up to and occasionally more than 25 pounds. Incumbent will push wheeled carts weighing up to or occasionally more than 100 pounds.
Librarian I: $27.09 – $33.02 per hour – plus benefits / Librarian II: $28.46- $34.70 per hour – plus benefits
August 8, 2016 or later
5:00 pm, Friday, July 8, 2016
A formal application is required. Applications can be obtained from the Library jobs page: http://sonomalibrary.org/sites/default/files/application.pdf or by contacting Jane Klickman at firstname.lastname@example.org . Please send your completed application by e-mail to email@example.com or fax (707-525-9563), or mail to 211 E Street, Santa Rosa, CA 95404.