Sonoma County Library Announces an Employment Opportunity
LIBRARIAN I/II – FULL TIME – 40 HOURS PER WEEK
MATERIALS MANAGEMENT DIVISION – CATALOGING – CENTRAL LIBRARY
The Sonoma County Library is seeking a customer service driven library professional with excellent communication skills and attention to detail for its full-time Librarian position in Cataloging. This position is located at the Central Library in downtown Santa Rosa in the heart of the California Wine Country with the Redwoods and Pacific Ocean only minutes away.
This benefited, full-time position in the area of Cataloging performs original and derived cataloging for materials in all formats; creates metadata for digitized special collections material; creates and updates authority records; compiles and reviews records for monthly authority control processing; and serves as back-up for all copy cataloging tasks and other related duties in the Cataloging Department as needed. The position reports to the Cataloging and Metadata Librarian in Materials Management, located at the Central Library.
include, but are not limited to:
- Preforming original and derived cataloging for special collections materials in all formats, local government documents, local author books; local musician/musical group sound recordings; foreign language materials
- Researching names, birth dates, street names, etc. in the Library catalog and other databases to create and update authority records and digital projects metadata
- Entering metadata for photos, archival collections and other special collections materials into Excel spreadsheets
- Loading new records in CONTENTdm or other platforms
- Correcting existing bibliographic records in the Library’s catalog, and metadata in CONTENTdm and archives databases
- Compiling information on new Horizon records from a number of monthly reports; investigating problems such as missing or malformed call numbers; and searching
- WorldCat via OCLC Connexion for replacement records
- Preparing and exporting monthly batches of new bibliographic records to Marcive, Inc. for authority processing; retrieving, importing and troubleshooting processed files
- Managing retrieval of vendor-provided shelf-ready MARC files via FTP, importing files into Horizon and trouble-shooting problems
8 hours per day, Monday through Friday; flexibility on the precise schedule but must be within 8:00 am & 6 pm
- Education and Experience: MLIS/MLS required
- Knowledge and abilities: Basic cataloging principles; strong attention to detail; basic knowledge of computers; basic knowledge of MS Office Excel or similar applications.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Cataloging experience (strongly preferred); 2 yrs. experience necessary to qualify for Librarian II
- Experience working OCLC Connexion and Horizon
- Close attention to detail
- Knowledge of metadata standards, digital asset management systems
- Multilingual (Spanish especially helpful)
- Basic programming/scripting knowledge helpful
Incumbent will perform repetitive arm/hand movements using a keyboard and mouse, and will grasp/handle materials that weigh up to and occasionally more than 25 pounds. Incumbent will push wheeled carts weighing up to or occasionally more than 100 pounds.
Librarian I: $27.09 – $33.02 per hour – plus benefits / Librarian II: $28.46- $34.70 per hour – plus benefits
August 8, 2016 or later
5:00 pm, Friday, July 8, 2016
A formal application is required. Applications can be obtained from the Library jobs page: http://sonomalibrary.org/sites/default/files/application.pdf or by contacting Jane Klickman at email@example.com . Please send your completed application by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax (707-525-9563), or mail to 211 E Street, Santa Rosa, CA 95404.